The IW4X Client does not require you to register on a forum so getting started is pretty easy.
- Make sure you have The Visual C++ Redistributable Package installed. Use the x86 version.
- Copy your Modern Warfare 2 game files to a new folder. (Steam version is preferred.)
- Delete everything except the folders "main", "miles", & "zone" and DO NOT delete the files: "localization.txt", "binkw32.dll", and "mss32.dll"
- Download the IW4X Updater HERE and place it in your root game directory.
- Run the updater and let it install the updated client files.
- Click iw4x.exe to start the game.
- On the main menu, set your player name
- Click "Join Game" and have fun.
Note: The IW4x site is hosted as a hidden TOR service. If it is down, just try again later.
NOTE: If you are interested in setting up your own server, see the instructions HERE.
IW4X includes the following features:
- IW4x allows you to set up your own dedicated servers with modifications for Modern Warfare 2 on top of a decentralized network.
- Dedicated servers with lobbies
- No matchmaking, but dedicated and (Local LAN) listen servers
- Fully offline playable LAN mode, including a server browser
- Friends list (Steam required to be run in the background) [Currently Broken]
- Cheat prevention measures
- Theater mode
- New weapons
- New maps
- New game mechanics
- Mod tools to create your own custom content
- and much more